As promised on my Instagram Stories here is the recipe for the cake I made Lee for his birthday. I have made this cake a few times now and it never fails to disappoint.
- 200g/ 8oz butter softened
- 200g/8oz caster sugar
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 200g/8oz self raising flour
- 200g/8oz glacé cherries, chopped
- 100g/4oz ground almonds
- 250g/9oz marzipan
- 50g/2oz blanched almonds
- icing sugar for dusting
1. Preheat the oven to 160C/Gas 3/fan140C. Butter and line a deep 20cm/8inches round cake tin. Beat the butter and sugar in a bowl until light and creamy. Pour in the eggs a little at a time and beat well after each addition. Mix in the flour one third at a time.
2. Fold in the cherries, ground almonds and almond extract until evenly mixed. Spoon half the mixture into the tin.
3. Roll out the marzipan to 19cm/7inches circle. lay this on top of the cake mixture in the tin, then cover with the rest of the mixture. Level, and scatter the almonds on top.
4. Bake for 1 1/2 hours, or until a skewer inserted comes out clean, covering with foil after 1 hour. Leave to cool in the tin for 20 minutes, then turn out on to a wire rack and cool completely. Dust with icing sugar.
This recipe is from Good Food 101 Cakes & Bakes tried-&-tested. by Mary Cadogan